Monday, January 16, 2017

My Three Business Ideas [TINST 475]

The following is a post for my TINST 475 class:

Idea 1: Simple Security Systems

With the continual improvements in cheap consumer electronics, internet connected cameras are more accessible than ever. A reasonable security system with cameras can cost in excess of 800 dollars. I believe that I could produce a functional security system for a fraction of that price using 3D printing and android based smartphones. Using cheap 3D printing to create a case (designed in CAD) for a cheap android smartphone running custom software (of my own design) I could build cheap wifi connected cameras that could all be tied to a central system. The cost of all the parts and manufacturing would permit a four camera alarm system of this design to be manufactured and sold at a profit for 200 dollars.

Idea 2: Augmented Reality Escape Rooms

Ever since hearing of Escape Rooms and experiencing them for myself, I have had an interest in creating my own. The area I live in is completely devoid of Escape Rooms, and definitely has a sufficient population to support an Escape Room business. However, with my interests in technology, I have spent time devising ways to implement upcoming technology in an Escape Room format. Using Augmented Reality would allow escape rooms to have deeper layers of interaction, such as using the camera on your smartphone to uncover hidden clues and solve puzzles. This could also be taken a step further implementing something similar to Microsoft's HoloLens. This would allow virtual elements to be projected as holograms in the room, this would allow for simulating impossible situations such as zombie apocalypses, visits to remote locations, etc.

Idea 3: Computer System Repair

This is a business idea I have actually toyed around with implementing when I was younger. I charged per hour and offered a generous warranty. Unfortunately I became too preoccupied with life and schooling to invest serious effort into the business to grow it. Based on the rates that people were willing to pay (especially for house calls) it would be entirely feasible to base a business around that offering, however, more services could be performed such as computer backup services, data recovery, and other computer related services. Regardless of any other future plans, I plan to pursue this business to some extent.

These are a summary of my business ideas I will be pursuing during this quarter and potentially the future, Don

No comments:

Post a Comment